Living the Dream
Ahhh…retirement. So many of us have a dream for what life will be like when we leave the working world behind. While it’s fantastic to dream, it’s also important to have a plan in place to make that dream a reality.
If you’re already at retirement age or getting close one of the most important decisions you’ll likely have to make is deciding on where to live. There are plenty of options. You could stay in your family home, move into an apartment, buy a condominium, move in with family members (mother-in-law suite), or choose housing specific to seniors.
While all of the options have advantages and disadvantages, many seniors find independent senior housing or assisted living to be suitable for many reasons.
- Perhaps your family is spread out across the country or even the continent. If that’s the case, many seniors find the time in-between visits very lonely. Living at an assisted or independent retirement home allows seniors to stay connected with their neighbours, make new friends and interact with staff members. It’s difficult to feel lonely when you’re surrounded by so many people who are keen to engage in conversation and activities.
- Never a dull moment. Most facilities have activity coordinators who strive to fill the calendar with a variety of classes, workshops, day trips, and entertainment to ensure seniors are active and stimulated. There are usually so many options, it’s hard to take it all in! Having continuous activities allows seniors to try things they maybe haven’t done before, encourage some to pick up a new hobby and eliminate boredom.
- Good Nutrition. When seniors live alone, it often becomes too much of chore to prepare proper meals and some may not get the proper nutrition that is needed. When you live in senior housing, you no longer have to worry about cooking (or washing dishes!), plus you get a fantastic variety of food and meals that are prepared to suit specific dietary needs.
- Safe and secure. Most facilities have a security system, properly installed and designed fire and smoke alarms and emergency response systems to ensure safe, secure, comfortable living.
- Less stress. Senior housing allows residents to be free. You don’t have to worry about driving if you don’t want to, you don’t have to worry about yard work, house maintenance, grocery shopping, how to get to and from appointments or being a burden to family members and friends. You can live independently and still do all the things you enjoy.